Waste Medicine Disposal
If you have out of date or unwanted medicines, both prescription or over the counter drugs, don’t bin them or flush them. Daytom Pharmacy provides safe Waste Medicine Disposal in Lincoln.
Each year, enormous quantities of unused and expired medications are dumped into bins or flushed down toilets and sinks. The effects on the environment and human health are unclear but the evidence is pointing to the presence of chemicals from prescriptions and over-the-counter medications in soil, drinking water and the surrounding environment. Just as proper medication administration is important, so is safe and cautious disposal.
Unused Prescription Medicines Cost The NHS Across The UK Over £300 Million Every Year, This Could Pay For:
80,906 MORE hip replacements*
101,351 MORE knee replacements*
19,799 MORE drug treatment courses for breast cancer*
11,778 MORE community nurses*
300,000 MORE drug treatment courses for Alzheimer’s*
*Based on average costs
How to help
– Please let your GP or Pharmacist know if you’ve stopped taking any of your medicines
– Check what medicines you still have at home before re-ordering
– Discuss your medication with your GP or Pharmacist on a regular basis
– Think carefully before ticking all the boxes on your repeat prescription forms and only tick those you really need
– If you don’t need the medicine please don’t order it
– If you need to go into hospital, please remember to take all your medicines with you in a clearly marked bag
Unused Medicines Cannot Be Recycled
Even if you never open them, once medicines have left the Pharmacy, they cannot be recycled or used by anyone else. Please send your unused medicines to our pharmacy or contact us today to find out more about safe waste medicine disposal in Lincoln.